Sem:Socl Sector Needs Assesmnt
This seminar introduces participants to a variety of tools and methodologies for participatory needs assessment in the context of poverty. The goal of this course is to develop and apply the fundamental needs and assets assessment skills necessary for a career in international development. The following topics will be covered:
1) An overview of Poverty, Social Change, Participation, and Asset-Based Development (including the importance of an Asset-Based approach in sustainable development; types of assets, including social capital);
2) An overview of participatory methods, tools, techniques and strategies applied in Asset Based Development activities.
3) Managing, leading, and encouraging participatory identification of needs and assets: how external facilitators interact with local participants and other stakeholder groups; the political context and power relationships.
4) Country and sector specific discussions of needs and assets identification.
- 10:00am-11:50am on Wednesday (Feb 1, 2016 to May 20, 2016)
- McCone M238